[lbo-talk] Ingo Elbe: Between Marx, Marxism, and Marxisms

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 12:32:21 PDT 2010

Ok Angelus, the following is from Chapter One of Capital Vol. I. It is Karl Marx speaking. He even uses the word "simple" to refer to commodity production in ancient Asiatic, and other ancient, non-capitalist modes of production.

"In the ancient Asiatic and other ancient modes of production, we find that the conversion of products into commodities, and therefore the conversion of men into producers of commodities, holds a subordinate place, which, however, increases in importance as the primitive communities approach nearer and nearer to their dissolution. Trading nations, properly so called, exist in the ancient world only in its interstices, like the gods of Epicurus in the Intermundia, or like Jews in the pores of Polish society. Those ancient social organisms of production are, as compared with bourgeois society, extremely _simple_

(emphasis added -CB) and transparent "

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch01.htm#S2