[lbo-talk] RT: US secretly paid media to spin news against Cuban Five

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:45:37 PDT 2010

"Five Cuban men convicted on charges of espionage over ten years ago and put in prison may have been the victims of a smear campaign by the US government."

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-06-03/us-secret-media-cuba.html

Of course I'm not shocked that such a thing could happen. What surprises me is that it apparently didn't take more than a FOIA request to uncover it. Kudos to the National Committee to Free the Cuban Five for doing the legwork on this one, but it's enough to make me wonder what consistent, disciplined investigation of the government - the kind of thing journalists would do, in my fantasy land - might uncover.

Here's more media coverage, such as it is:

http://www.freethefive.org/legalFront/FOIA/PressConferencePress60210.htm

And here's the Committee's full dossier:

http://www.freethefive.org