[lbo-talk] more on lunatic state

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 07:35:21 PDT 2010

[WS:] Not necessarily. The "madman behavior" is not uncommon among state actors, especially in situations of power imbalance or perceived power imbalance. If you are a small guy, the rational behavior would make you a predictable pushover when confronted by bigger guys. But if you do not act rationally, or at least convincingly convey a message that you do not, the predictablity of you being pushed over disappears, and the big guy will think twice before provoking your "mad response" to his threats. And that is precisely what a small guy who does not want to be a pushover intends.

To me, Israeli politics contain quite a big dose of projecting the image of a "madman state" (just like North Korea does) - from unverified perception that they have nukes to disproportionate lashing out at relatively minor threats to its interest. Their perception seem to be that they are surrounded by mortal enemies that would run them over many times if given a chance. This was clearly the case prior to the Six Day War and they simply lucked out that their foe was the Egyptian Army and not, say, the Wehrmacht or the Red Army or the US Army. Things changed since then and anyone tethered to reality is aware that the success of the SDW could not be repeated today. Hence the madman strategy.

I am not trying to defend the reprehensible behavior of the Israeli state - which btw is not that much different from what many other states do to their respective "unruly" minorities - but simply to paint a more multi-faceted picture instead of simplistic vilification.

Wojtek