[lbo-talk] Huffington Post on rift between Dems and labor

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jun 10 07:12:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Wojtek S wrote:

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/09/blanche-lincoln-win-spark_n_605443.html
>
> [WS:] The good news is that finally organized labor found guts to stand up
> to the Dems, but the bad news is that it lost.

Not entirely. Running a candidate from the left and losing had exactly the effect proponents have always said it would have: it drove Blanche Lincoln to the left. She would never have proposed and stuck with that this ban on banks trading derivatives if she wasn't fending off Halter's challenge. And that drove the whole Senate to the left -- this is the first in living memory where the Senate version of an important bill is tougher than the house version. We'll see what happens in the end, but financial reform -- a very important thing -- may end up being the one place where the Dems surpass expections.

And basically it's all because of the Halter drive. It totally vindicates the approach.

Michael