[lbo-talk] U.S. in Israel's corner; IS is US

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 10 07:45:19 PDT 2010

It may be reader expectations 'crafted' by the physical appearance of e-mail on the monitor screen, the elaborate heading, etc. Also, reading is, I believe, slower for almost everyone in comparison to reading a printed text (more of which is in front of one at any given instant). With my damaged eyesight I'm merely an extreme case of what affects almost everyone.

Of course tone _can_ be missed in all media. After all, Defoe (no slouch of a writer) ened up in the pillory because _everyone_ of all persuasions missed the tone of his essay on dealing with dissenters. Some readers will alwyas miss irony, but in Defoe's case clearly a large number of skilled readers (some ironists themselves) missed the tone.

Carrol