[lbo-talk] Tragedy & farce in today's media

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:32:01 PDT 2010

The historian Tony Judt is dying of Lou Gehrig's disease, a terrible fate, and that may help to explain the inadequacy of his op-ed in today's NYT ("Israel Without Clichés"). It's unfortunate but unsurprising that it seems to represent the limits of liberal opinion as countenanced by the major media.

First as tragedy, then as farce: a man who pretends to be a historian, Michael Oren, the Israeli ambassador to the US, was featured on Stephen Colbert's show last night. Colbert employed the same knowing burlesque he's used against the White House press and the US army in Iraq - an extremely difficult procedure - and the results as usual seemed to me equivocal.

I'd like to know what people are making of both Judt and Oren.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/opinion/10judt.html?scp=1&sq=tony%20judt&st=cse

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/wed-june-9-2010-sam-nunn