[lbo-talk] news from Newman!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 10 11:02:45 PDT 2010

[this just in, from the indefatigable Newman!, as Max Sawicky dubbed him]

Amicus brief Defend Health Reform: Join Legislator Amicus Brief in Support of Federal Health Reform Law Dear ,

I am writing you today to ask you to join with other legislators around the country in support of an amicus brief defending the federal health reform law. We need to submit the brief next week, June 16th, so please join us today in this effort. And please pass this email onto colleagues who you think would be interested in joining the brief as well.

Sign up here to join the state legislator brief defending the federal reform law.

Clearly, the forces opposing health access for millions of Americans have not been willing to accept losing the legislative battle over health reform in Congress.

Despite the failure of ALEC and other rightwing groups to pass almost any of their anti-reform bills at the state level, rightwing state Attorneys General and others have now gone to court to supposedly speak on behalf of the states to ask activist judges to strike down the federal health reform law.

We intend to send the message that state legislators around the country SUPPORT health reform and that those state Attorneys General do not speak for the states.

The respected Constitutional Accountability Center in Washington, D.C. has agreed to work with Progressive States Network and State Legislators for Health Reform to submit an amicus brief to federal court on behalf of state legislators to argue that the health reform is in the interests of state governments and its constituents.

The outline of arguments and draft of the brief that will be submitted next week in court is below. Please read it and join the brief.

Sign up here to join the state legislator brief defending the federal reform law.

If you have additional questions on the brief, please email Elizabeth Wydra of the Constitutional Accountability Center at elizabeth at theusconstitution.org

or myself at nnewman at progressivestates.org.

Please see below for the outline of the brief.

Yours,

Nathan Newman Executive Director Progressive States Network