[lbo-talk] Huffington Post on rift between Dems and labor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 10 11:08:24 PDT 2010

Third Parties cannot be built within electoral politics. If/when one emerges it will not be because "progressive" forces build one; it will be because a radical movement _outside_ of electoral politics has shaken the nation to its foundations. Then one might (if it seemed useful) create an electoral party virtually overnight. But one can not build one in a "progressive" (step by step) process. That is just another version of Bernstein's "The final goal is notthing, the movement is everythng."

In parliamentary systems it is possible to build political activity _and_ participate in electoral politics. But not in a system such as the U.S. has. Electoral politics are the death of politics in any real sense.

Carrol