[lbo-talk] Iran

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 09:31:47 PDT 2010

[I have edited the subject heading from "RE: A Coda on Solidarity: Iran, the Left and Noble Savages" to get the message past hotmail's "junk" filter.]

The way Westerners talk of Iranian dissent today reminds me of the same talking of Soviet and Eastern European dissent in the day. Internal political conflict is being exploited by the West so it can weaken the country to conquer it. For this reason, the price of religious fundamentalism for resisting US conquest may be the best that can be hoped for in the present situation. And those serious about Iran's future need to focus on US foreign policy not internal Iranian policy, of which we have no control.

Instead hatred of the Iranian regime is being used to soften liberals and many on the left to some kind of US military action--they're monsters, even if the US is acting cynically, who cares is monsters parish.

It is also worth noting--once again--medievalist Saudi Arabia completely escapes scrutiny, in spite of the fact the country is worse than Iran and is supported by the US; therefore making us in some sense responsible for what happens there.

Peter Ward

_________________________________________________________________ http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/ Do you have a story that started on Hotmail? Tell us now