[lbo-talk] what are hipsters?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:15:11 PDT 2010

Well, yes and no. If the emphasis is on the "follows" w/r/t "trends and fashions" then the hipster is a follower, a consumer, not a producer... at best second hand authenticity But I think "the latest trends and fashions" is also key reinforcing the point that the producers of the authentic phenomenon before it gets trendy or fashionable are not hipsters. Of course, it can be hard to differentiate followers who "really get it" from followers who're following 'cuz its hip (and can talk the talk but don't walk the walk).

Hipster "I just found this great old LA post-punk collection called Warfrat Tales, it ROCKS, esp. The Leaving Trains' Creeping Coastline of Lights! BTW: have you seen these cool, super tight, low-rider jeans I found in a Brooklyn thrift store?!" Hipper "Dude, I was into The Dream Syndicate before anyone called them part of the Paisley Underground and nobody with a flat ass like yours wears jeans like that." Hippest "Yeah, well The Dream Syndicate, Thin White Rope (not actually part of the Paisely Underground nor even Desert Rock) were all wannabe Televisions, though I guess you could trace that whole thing back to the dueling leads John Mayall encouraged his young charges to produce, if not further." Most genuinely awesomest: Piss off, everything sucks except Big Black, Sandy Denny and John Philip Sousa.