[lbo-talk] what are hipsters?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 10:03:46 PDT 2010

At 05:45 AM 6/15/2010, Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Negro

And before that was Mezz Mezzrow:

"Really the Blues, read at the counter of the counter of the Columbia U Bookstore in mid-forties, was for me the first signal into white culture of the underground black, hip culture that preexisted before my own generation". -- Allen Ginsberg

[...]

Mezzrow has never been ranked as one of the best jazz musicians (some critics have ranked his musical abilities as below mediocre) [citation needed], but he organized and took part in some magnificent recording sessions involving the very best black musicians of the 1930s/40s, including Benny Carter, Teddy Wilson, Frankie Newton, Tommy Ladnier and - most importantly - Sidney Bechet.

[...]

Mezz Mezzrow became better-known for his drug-dealing than his musical prowess. In his time, he was so well-known in the jazz community for selling marijuana that "Mezz" became slang for marijuana. He was also known as the "Muggles King," the word "muggles" (also the title of a famous 1928 Louis Armstrong recording), being slang for marijuana at that time.

Mezzrow praised and admired the African-American style. In his autobiography Really The Blues, Mezzrow writes that from the moment he heard jazz he "was going to be a Negro musician, hipping [teaching] the world about the blues the way only Negroes can."

Mezzrow married a black woman, Mae (also known as Johnnie Mae), moved to Harlem, and declared himself a "voluntary Negro." In 1940 he was caught by the police to be in possession of sixty joints trying to enter a jazz club at the New York World's Fair, with intent to distribute. When he was sent to jail, he insisted to the guards that he was black and was transferred to the segregated prison's black section. He wrote (in Really the Blues):

"Just as we were having our pictures taken for the rogues' gallery, along came Mr. Slattery the deputy and I nailed him and began to talk fast. 'Mr. Slattery,' I said, 'I'm colored, even if I don't look it, and I don't think I'd get along in the white blocks, and besides, there might be some friends of mine in Block Six and they'd keep me out of trouble'. Mr. Slattery jumped back, astounded, and studied my features real hard. He seemed a little relieved when he saw my nappy head. 'I guess we can arrange that,' he said. 'Well, well, so you're Mezzrow. I read about you in the papers long ago and I've been wondering when you'd get here. We need a good leader for our band and I think you're just the man for the job'. He slipped me a card with 'Block Six' written on it. I felt like I'd got a reprieve."

Mezzrow was lifelong friends with French jazz critic Hugues Panassié and consequently spent the last 20 years of his life in Paris. Mezzrow's autobiography, Really the Blues, co-authored by Bernard Wolfe and published in 1946 may prove to be his most important legacy: a picaresque and amusing insight into the jazz world of the late 1920s.

Eddie Condon said of him (We Called It Music, London; Peter Davis 1948): "When he fell through the Mason-Dixie line he just kept going".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezz_Mezzrow