[lbo-talk] new blog post: A Coda on Solidarity: Iran, the Left and Noble Savages | The Activist

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:20:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

The formal position of the PLO - which represents all Palestinians, in the
> region and the diaspora

That's a bit of a stretch. For one thing, Hamas has never affiliated to the PLO. For another, the non-Fatah factions of the PLO face varying levels of political repression, including the Western "terrorist" designation of the second-largest, the PFLP. I won't fault the PLO for failing to achieve the impossible, but barring some kind of global compact guaranteeing Palestinian refugees the right to speak and organize freely, as well as the voluntary membership of every significant Palestinian party, it cannot be said to adequately represent much of anything.

If you want like an idea of what that might look like, you can read the
> (leaked) notes from the European Union's observer-delegate at the 2001 Taba
> talks

Yes, where two teams of negotiators discussed terms that everyone knew perfectly well would never prove acceptable to either power. So what? I'm no expert on negotiations, but I don't believe such things are entirely uncommon, especially when one side is only trying to appear reasonable.

> Fortunately, though, the Germans under Willy Brandt were wise enough to
> choose the opposite tack. They recognized the loss of the territories and
> singned peace treaties with the states that practiced the expulsions.

Hey, if you want to oppose the rights of Palestinians, I'm hardly in a position to stop you. Don't expect me to take you seriously when you claim to be doing it out of some deep concern for their collective well-being, though.