[lbo-talk] Iran

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 03:56:45 PDT 2010

This is quite the display of smug condescension and orientalism. I didn't bother responding to Ward's (who I think has pioneered his own ideology-- Second Camp "anarchism") charge about "regime change" not being slated for Saudi Arabia, because I assumed the reply would be obvious. There are no mass protests in Saudi Arabia nor are there not popular workers' organizations organizing strikes and boycotts. What's explicit in your response to Doug is that you think that the protesters in Iran are some sort of insidious imperialist plot and that you would rather stand with an autocratic, chauvinist capitalist state than with them. Which, is fine. We are all entitled to our own allegiances, as long as you drop the pretenses of it being a brave "progressive" stance to protest (like ANSWER did) in solidarity with concentrated power and state coercion. As far as PSL/ANSWER, very relevant political questions arise from the fact that one of the main protest organizations in the country is under the control of a tiny Stalinist clique that writes paeans to North Korea, Zimbabwe and Iran.

Namely, where the hell is UFPJ?