[lbo-talk] weekend

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Jun 16 14:06:12 PDT 2010

On Jun 13, 2010, at 8:45 AM, Bill O'Connor wrote:

> martin <mschiller at pobox.com> writes:
>
>> has anyone had any 'ideas' - [love those 'scare quote' things] - regarding a means to 'stop' the 'leak'?
>>
>> In case anyone wants to play, I'll submit a contribution. Drag a big blanket over it and then bury the blanket.
>
> The wellhead is compromised, if you just plug the top of the whole like
> that, the 700 atmospheres of pressure will rupture the walls of the
> wellhead and the oil will be coming out many new holes all around the
> area. The only way to stop the oil is the bottom kill technique, and,
> in a hilarious sidebar, that technique almost never works.

Listening to Dylan Ratigan show, talking about BP soliciting ideas from the public for ideas to stop the oil. It prompts me to propose another consideration. Dropping a tube (large diameter culvert) over the well and making the tube a mile high like a straw from which they can suck the oil. It _will_ rise to the top!.

martin