[lbo-talk] Cremaster Cycle

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 17 14:37:40 PDT 2010

At 02:22 PM 6/17/2010, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>I followed graffiti art for awhile in the early 90s when some of it
>was getting waay artty. Now they have graffiti software. That ain't
>right! One of the cool things about graffiti is how much practice it
>takes to pull off that heavily styled calligraphy. Try it and see.

Los Angeles sheriff's pulled off a preemptive strike the other day on a tagging crew they say was involved in shenanigans after the last Lakers championship:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/dozens-arrested-from-tagging-crew-that-vandalzed-property-after-lakers-2009-nba-championship-victory.html

[...]

The arrests were timed to help prevent a repeat of the rampant vandalism that marred postgame celebrations last year following the Lakers' title win. The Lakers face off Thursday night against the Boston Celtics at Staples Center for the 2010 NBA championship.

On Wednesday, authorities targeted members of the OCP tagging crew, also known as Out Causing Panic, said Lt. Erik Ruble of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's special problems unit, which investigates graffiti on Metropolitan Transportation Authority property.

At least 31 people from the crew, which is estimated to have more than 200 members spread over four Southern California counties, were arrested after officers conducted probation searches and served search warrants.

"What don't they damage?" Ruble said following the pre-dawn operation. "These guys are tearing up everything. They are etching and tagging any private and public property they come in contact with from freeways, light poles and business windows to buses and trains. They truly are thugs and menaces."

[...]