[lbo-talk] Iran

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 04:36:42 PDT 2010

Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:

> As far as PSL/ANSWER, very relevant political questions arise from the
> fact that one of the main protest organizations in the country is under
> the control of a tiny Stalinist clique that writes paeans to North Korea,
> Zimbabwe and Iran.

A long time ago, on this very list, I wrote that atavistic 'anti-imperialism' was a symptom of the narcissistic self-regard of many North American leftists.

Paradoxically, the conception of the United States as pure eeeevil also feeds the romanticism of North American leftists. They love all that shit about being in the 'belly of the beast'; 'belly of the beast' in this sense is a synonym for 'center of the universe'.

That's also why they're so provincial about paying attention to what goes on in other metropolitan countries. 'Internationalism' only exists to the extent that one can romanticize Latin American peasants or other projecting surfaces for revolutionary hopes in the 'periphery'.