[lbo-talk] workers take pay in virtual coin

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Jun 20 11:15:54 PDT 2010

Jesse Schell (a gaming CEO and CMU prof) gave an interesting talk about a future where life is a game -- schools, corporations and governments structure everything as a point system. http://fury.com/2010/02/jesse-shells-mindblowing-talk-on-the-future-of-games-dice-2010/

Earlier in his talk, he discussed the psychological tricks social game publishers currently play to get money from people (including from parents whose children accumulated virtual money for weeks, but need to pay a subscription fee with real money to cash in the virtual cash for toys).

I hear there's controversy at gaming conferences about "Skinner boxes" and constant reinforcement strategies which are in the designer's toolbox. Negative reactions range from professional disdain (like a cook who sees most junkfood as addictive fat/sugar/salt injection systems), to ethical objections. http://dev.null.org/blog/item/201003110151_skinner_s_xbo

Could be an interesting addition to billboards, movies, TV, cellphones, mail, radio, etc. As more objects have CPUs and sensors, and as tech is increasingly disposable. (Like Schell's hypothetical toothbrushes which give you hygiene points for brushing your teeth, to the delight of the toothpaste industry.)

All the best, Tj

- Gaming is not a mirror. Gaming is a hammer.