[lbo-talk] The surprising biodegradability of oil

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jun 22 01:32:27 PDT 2010

[This is interesting. I'm sure oil people have said this, and I've simply assumed they were lying sacks of shit. Cecil OTOH in my experience has had such a great track record for so long that I feel compelled by honor to grant his account as true until proven otherwise.]

[On his account, oil seems to biodegrade at a surprisingly fast clip so long as it is in contact with water and air. The only time it stays around forever is when it gets buried under dirt.]

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2943/did-nature-clean-up-most-of-the-exxon-valdez-oil-spill

Did nature clean up most of the Exxon Valdez oil spill?

June 18, 2010

Dear Cecil:

The current drama over the gulf oil spill reminds me of an article some

years ago saying that, despite millions spent on massive coastline

cleanup following the Exxon Valdez disaster, contaminated areas

untouched by cleanup crews reverted to their pristine pre-spill

condition just as quickly as those with human help. Is this a case of

letting Mother Nature alone to do what she does best, or simply not

true?

-- Mike Hogan, Auckland, New Zealand

Cecil replies:

Apparently the good news hasn't gotten out to kiwi country. Rush

Limbaugh has already assessed the situation in the Gulf of Mexico and

announced, "The ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left

alone and was left out there. It's natural. It's as natural as the

ocean water is. Well, the turtles may take a hit for a while, but so

what?" Still, maybe you won't mind getting a second opinion from me.

The basics: First, oil is mostly biodegradable. Some of it evaporates

or breaks down with exposure to sunlight, and at least 20 types of

marine bacteria plus several types of fungi can degrade what's left.

Surprised to learn that bacteria eat oil? Don't be. Although oil spills

from tankers and wells make the news, they account for less than 15

percent of the total petroleum entering the world's oceans, while 47

percent comes from natural oil seeps. (The rest largely comes from

petroleum use.)

That doesn't mean oil biodegrades easily. Crude oil consists mainly of

various types of hydrocarbons, some of which break down readily, others

not at all. Light oils generally degrade faster than heavy ones. Very

light crude might lose 60 percent of its volume due to biodegradation

in four weeks, heavy crude just 10 percent. Temperature is important --

warmer waters encourage bacteria growth, which is one bright spot for

the gulf.

A big factor slowing oil breakdown is that oil doesn't contain much

nitrogen or phosphorus, both of which are needed for good bacterial

growth. Enter bioremediation, where fertilizer is added to encourage

natural bacteria. First tried in the 1960s, it evidently works. One

2002 study showed that adding just 0.25 percent fertilizer to oil on a

lab-simulated beach quintupled the natural biodegradation rate. Tests

in 1994 in Delaware Bay, which is already rich with bacterial

nutrients, showed fertilizer doubled the rate of oil degradation in

shallow waters. The same year, scientists fighting a spill on a beach

near Haifa, Israel, reported that bioremediation had reduced oil

contamination 88 percent in just four weeks.

Sometimes nature doesn't need much assistance. Following the 1978 wreck

of the Amoco Cadiz off the coast of Brittany, oil was broken down

quickly by local microbes, which had grown accustomed to the stuff

thanks to shipping leakage. Same for the 1980 Tanio wreck in the same

area -- biodegradation was detectable within 24 hours. The blowout of

the Ixtoc well in the Gulf of Mexico in 1979 was a different story.

Warm water and friendly bacteria raised hopes for speedy degradation,

but in this case the oil formed an emulsion, or mousse, on the surface

that proved resistant to breakdown.

To your question: It's true that human efforts didn't clean up most of

the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill. Some hydrocarbons degraded rapidly without

assistance, possibly because bacteria in Prince William Sound had

acclimated to resin emitted by pine trees on shore.

But bioremediation seemed to help. Local bacteria were found to be

starving for nutrients, and once fertilizers were added to a test area

they got busy. Within a couple weeks a "white window" of clean rocks

appeared among the gunk-covered ones. Eventually more than 70 miles of

beach were treated this way.

Later researchers questioned how much oil the process actually got rid

of, though. It's been calculated that all told, bioremediation,

skimming, spraying, and scrubbing were responsible for removing less

than a sixth of the spilled oil. Who or whatever deserves the credit,

most of the Exxon Valdez spillage did eventually disappear.

Not all of it, though -- biodegradation has its limits. Oxygen is key

in much bacterial action, and once oil gets buried under sediment

things really slow down. In 2001 researchers dug pits at 91 sites along

the shore of Prince William Sound and found oil at roughly three in

five. That may sound overly grim -- another survey of 5,000 pits by

U.S. government researchers in 2001 and 2003 found 98 percent had

little or no oil.

Conclusion? Let's break this down into more digestible bits. Do oil

spills mostly go away on their own? Yes. Does that mean we're better

off leaving them alone? Of course not. Nobody doubts we need to plug

leaks and contain spillage, and I'm persuaded bioremediation helps at

least sometimes.

But other intervention may be wasteful or harmful. Excessive use of

chemical dispersants may threaten wildlife. Animal rescue efforts may

be expensive PR exercises. The chief lesson from past spills is how

little we know about what works. We'd better find out.

-- Cecil Adams