[lbo-talk] The economic situation in Japan ?

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Jun 22 09:03:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, June 22, 2010 8:01 am, JC Helary wrote:

> I'm looking for an analysis of the economic/financial situation of Japan
> because I'm seeing a lot of crap (debt is as high as Greece!!! So what ?)
> but not much solid stuff.
>
> Any idea where I can find that ?

One of the best summaries I've found is by Richard Koo, economist at Nomura, I think:

http://csis.org/files/media/csis/events/081029_japan_koo.pdf

Long and short of it: Japan is fundamentally sound, due to vast savings and current account surplus, but screwed itself by adopting neolib policies. Now it needs to consume more, like the rest of East Asia.

-- DRR