[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change Course Before it is Too Late'

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jun 23 08:13:03 PDT 2010

[Doug did a great one hour interview with her a couple of months ago: http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#100408 It's all great, but esp. the last 17 minutes or so]

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/diane-ravitch/ravitch-to-obama-change-course.html

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Washington Post

Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change Course Before it is

Too Late"

by Valerie Strauss

Education historian Diane Ravitch [1] has been talking with

thousands of people as she crisscrosses the country talking about

education reform and her New York Times best-selling book, "The

Death and Life of the Great American School System [2]."

<snip>

Q) Have you met with any Obama administration officials? Members of

Congress? What do you say? What did they say?

A) I was recently

invited to meet with high-level administration officials in the

White House. I told them my concerns. I told them what I have heard

from teachers and parents. They told me I was misinformed. I think

they should listen more to the grassroots, not just to the think

tanks and the media. Over the past few weeks, I have met with many

Democratic members of Congress. I have met some really impressive

members who understand how destructive the current "reform" movement

is. Many agree with me that the emphasis on evaluating teachers will

simply produce more teaching to the test, more narrowing the

curriculum, more gaming the system. They have heard from their

constituents, and they don't like what is going on.

But frankly, these same Congressmen and women tell me that they are

probably helpless to stop the President's agenda. The Democratic

leadership will give the President and Secretary Duncan what they

want, and they will have the support of Republicans. That leaves the

Democrats in a quandary. They were not happy to see Secretary Duncan

campaigning for his approach with Newt Gingrich. Maybe it will turn

out to be a winning strategy for Secretary Duncan. He may get what

he wants. It just won't be good for American education or our kids.

Q) When the administration officials told you you were mistaken,

what did they say you were mistaken about?

A) I asked why they are

pushing states to increase the number of charter schools, when

studies and NAEP show that charters don't get better results on

average than regular public schools; they said they are not pushing

states to increase the number of charter schools. I was incredulous

because many states lifted their charter caps in hopes of getting

RTTT money. When I asked if they thought it was a good idea for

state legislatures to set professional standards for evaluating

teachers, they again disclaimed any connection with what states are

doing to get RTTT money, even though the administration wrote the

criteria and the states are responding to them.

Q) If you got a chance to talk to President Obama, what would you

tell him?

A) I would urge him to change course before it is too

late. I would tell him that charter schools in the aggregate don't

get better results than regular public schools. I would tell him

that his push to have teachers evaluated by student test scores is

wrong, and that standards for evaluation should be designed by

professionals, not by politicians. I would urge him to stop using

language of failing, punishing, closing, and firing and speak

instead of improving, building, supporting, and encouraging.

I would urge him to think about ways of strengthening American

public education because it is one of the foundational elements of

our democracy. I would urge him to speak about the importance of a

strong curriculum for all kids in every school, one that includes

the arts, history, literature, foreign languages, civics, economics,

physical education, science, and mathematics. I would urge him to

recognize that high-stakes testing in basic skills steals time from

everything else that should be taught and that it is thus

undermining education. I would also implore him not to recommend

testing every other subject, as there would soon be no time for

instruction, only testing.

Q) Do you think there will be political consequences for the

administration's education policy?

A) The administration's

alienation of teachers is a really bad idea politically. There are

four million teachers, and they vote. They have families. There are

retired teachers, who care deeply about our public education system.

The President is heading into a tough mid-term election. I don't see

the point of cultivating Republicans and endorsing their agenda of

privatization and tough accountability, because they won't vote for

him anyway. And I don't see the point of disrespecting public school

teachers, who are one of his core constituencies.

© 2010 The Washington Post