[lbo-talk] Krugman: The Zombies Who Ate Alan Simpson's Brain

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 23 09:23:27 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Why disparage the defensive institutions and benefits won by the
> working
> class?

The whole idea of accumulating assets in the SS Trust Fund is a concession to bourgeois finance on the private pension-fund model: pre- funding liabilities. It also concedes that SS faces a long-term crisis, when at worst it's a solvable problem. There's no reason that SS can't pay benefits out of current revenues for as long as the USA keeps both nostrils above the waterline.

Quoting myself quoting Keynes from Wall Street: