[lbo-talk] Boy detained for Facebook insult murder in London

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:57:00 PDT 2010

We're agreed on rational choice. I think the differences are crucial because I find the diversity of what you call allovariants undermines the utility of the meta-claim. Similarly, following Ollman (and Levins and Lewontin's) account of dialectics, my sense is that arguing for fundamental terms rather than focusing on situated historical, material and semiotic relations, associations, and conditions operates outside of my intellectual and political tradition. Among Weber's many problems is an insistence on a transhistorically useful term, rationality, that simply has different aspects operating to different effect at different times and places as rationality ineluctably spreads. All decisions are meldings of conscious and unconscious affect and purpose... abstractions are useful analytic tools at instititional and social levels but generally quite poor when applied to the level of the individual, as you have done.