[lbo-talk] Please think of the turtles

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 11:53:28 PDT 2010

I don't know how I got on their list but I just got this from Credo/Working Assets. I thought Working Assets was endangered but it lives:

BP is burning endangered sea turtles alive. Help us save sea turtles.

Clicking here will add your name to this petition:

Dear Dennis,

News has just emerged from the Gulf Coast that BP is burning endangered sea turtles alive.

A boat captain who has been leading efforts to rescue the endangered turtles says BP has blocked his crews from entering the areas where the animals are trapped, effectively shutting down the rescue operation.

Tell BP: Stop burning endangered sea turtles alive. Clicking here will automatically sign your name to our petition.

BP is using "controlled burns" to contain the oil spill. Shrimp boats create a corral of oil by dragging together fire-resistant booms and then lighting the enclosed "burn box" on fire. If turtles are not removed from the area before the fire is lit, they are literally burned alive.

The sea turtle most affected by the Gulf of Mexico oil spill is the Kemp's Ridley which is listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act. Parties responsible for killing the endangered turtles are liable for criminal penalties that include prison and civil fines of up to $25,000 per violation.

As a result, BP perversely has a financial incentive to let the endangered turtles be incinerated rather than to allow rescue crews to cull them from the burn boxes before the containment fires are lit.

"They ran us out of there and then they shut us down, they would not let us get back in there," said turtle rescuer Mike Ellis in an interview with conservation biologist Catherine Craig that was posted on YouTube.com. 3

Enough is enough. Tell BP to allow the rescue boats back in and stop burning endangered sea turtles alive. Clicking here will automatically sign your name to our petition.