[lbo-talk] Working-Class Fragmentation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 23 12:09:42 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 2:10 PM, turbulo at aol.com quoted:

> “At the pinnacle is the financial sphere and its major players, but
> all that is quite abstract. You can’t demonstrate against an
> abstraction,” explains the sociologist Alain Mergier.

It's complex in the details, but not in the power relations: the financial system is about the construction and exercise of ownership and control by a possessing class. The left does no one any favors when it speaks of finance as detached, otherworldly, epiphenomenal, or anything like that.

Excuse my personal pique, but I find it endlessly exasperating that I wrote a book about this shit, published 13 years ago by the leading left house in the English-speaking world and now available everywhere for free download, yet my analysis has had almost no visible effect on left discourse.

Doug