[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change CourseBefore it is Too Late'

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 12:19:07 PDT 2010

[WS:] This reminds me of the book by Harry Braverman, _Labor and monopoly capital_ published in 1976. The central theme of the book was deskilling of work under capitalism, and the prediction that this process will escalate to white collar occupations. That claim was pretty much poo-poohed by the then establishment - after all the "new economy" with computers unleashing unprecedented levels of creativity was on the horizon.

However, after the new economy came and went, Braverman's thesis seems to be fully vindicated. Far from unleashing creativity, computers contributed to deskilling of even professional occupations. A significant element of most white collar jobs is the manipulation of menus on the computer screen which requires the skill level of a bank teller.

College degrees are becoming mere credentials to beef up one's resume rather than enhance knowledge or cognitive skills.

Wojtek