[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change CourseBefore it is Too Late'

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:13:57 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2010, at 4:34 PM, Eric Beck wrote:
>
>> If you think I'm calling for the destruction of the educational system
>> and a return to our true natures, I've communicated badly.
>
> Please clarify then.

I see now that maybe you thought I was endorsing Freire. I'm not, since I don't know that much about him and what I do know isn't that appealing to me.

My only point was that if we are now at some pivotal moment when the educational system is being restructured to meet capital's demands, then instead of trying to protect the current system that most people hate, which is the definition of a conservative demand, why not view the moment as an opportunity to transform education in ways that "we" want? Saving traditional education just because it's what we have or because it is potentially better than what *might* come ensures from the beginning that capital gets its way. As for ideas, I have none, though the euthanasia of administrators and trustees might be a good place to start.