[lbo-talk] One Year Suspension of the Irvine Muslim Student Union

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Jun 24 00:25:19 PDT 2010

I'm in the midst of listening to Doug's interview with Norman Finkelstein, and it makes me realize that no one has brought up the recent proposed suspension of the UC Irvine Muslim Student Union for the brief disruption of the speech of Israel Ambassador Oren. This is a disproportionate response to an act of disruption on the part of the UC admin, who has allowed similar acts without these forms of collective punishment, from the disruption of talks by James Yoo to the disruption of George Galloway by pro-Israel protesters. It is seen by most of us on the campus as a real threat to political activism on our campus. Here are some links on the situation.

A comment by the MSU: http://www.msuuci.com/?p=2264

The Orange County Register: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/university-253265-union-student.html

Strangely enough, the evaluation was done by the head of housing, which I suppose means that the ban on cats is now really been eclipsed as the most reprehensible thing that she has done. On a serious note, if you take the time to look at the report that she put together, it is built on the access to private emails and emails from the group. I suspect that this will translate into a very busy year of activism starting in September.

Robert Wood