[lbo-talk] Garry Wills does nice short summary of RS article

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 25 15:29:08 PDT 2010

I'm not sure that Doug's speculations are wholly incompatible with the arguments Carl & I put forward. For one thing, I would be willing to acknowledtge an ad hoc quality to u.s. foreign policy, and I would not myself use the phrase "grand strategy." I'm not sure than any nation eer has has such a thing. But I do think that within the nationnal power elites there has been a fairly consistent view over the last 60 years that the u.s. needs to maintain 'discipline' in the Middle East. And that certainly would involve various ad hoc decistions that would then generate some of the traps Doug identifies. Maintaining "creditibility" played a lare role in the Vietnam adventure.

Car5oo