[lbo-talk] Move On: We Betray Ourselves

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 26 10:21:41 PDT 2010

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> reasonable is the key word there. they know there's a left, they are
> anticommunists who think leftists are crazy for wanting to get rid of
> capitalism. hence, we are unreasonable; it conventional vernacular:
> whack jobs.

This is why it's necessary to be so nimble in mass organizing -- one of the reasons for creating "front groups." "Fronts" don't have to be deceptive. In the Spring of '69 at ISU we (SDS) created a group called SAW (Students Against War) for just two weeks. Why. Threre was a student who wanted to work with us and who was a good organizer, but he just didn't want to be called SDS! Everyone knew SAW & SDS were the same, but somehow it made a difference.

Carrol