[lbo-talk] Move On: We Betray Ourselves

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 28 08:48:00 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:29 AM, SA wrote:

> I think there's a certain unhealthy rhetorical outbidding that takes place on the US left (totally absent in France, AFAICT) concerning "The Democrats." No one wants to be left vulnerable to the accusation that they're "soft on democrats."

Really? No one? A lot of pretty sophisticated leftists drank the Obama Kool-Aid, and it's only now that some of them are recovering. The Nation magazine, which is certainly part of the U.S. left, can't really be described as "soft on Democrats" because they really are Democrats. Ditto much of the former antiwar movement. Even some on the left of the labor movement. Yeah, the Spartacist League is another story, but where does this tendency that you're talking about prevail?

Doug