[lbo-talk] 4th @ DC

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jun 28 09:58:57 PDT 2010

OK. I'm bored as shit with my current environs. Must. Get. Away. But i'm torn. It's not as if there aren't things to do here - like there's a 21 mile bike ride and picnic I'd like to do in the area. It's hard to give that up. And people have suggested doing the Colonial Parkway, but it's a lousy 4 miles, 11 if I go the other trails, and that's not very long distance.

Still, I want to get out of town. I'm thinking DC for the 4th. But I still want to get a decent bike ride in. Being unfamiliar with DC, I don't think riding around in DC will be especially enjoyable. Although maybe there are decent bike paths. Anyone know?

So, are there any scenic trails, with enough of a trail to get in a 20-30 mile ride - and not so far from DC that we can't head back in to DC to catch fireworks and whatever other stuff is going on?

Also, if I decide I can live without the bike ride and do it, say, next Monday instead, what's it like in DC on the 4th? Is it going to be ridiculously crazy busy traffic-wise?

Just looking for a perspective from locals.

Thanks,

shag