[lbo-talk] Krugman: A short history of real business cycle theory

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jun 30 03:10:23 PDT 2010

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/learned-helplessness-in-macro

Paul Krugman - New York Times Blog

June 29, 2010, 7:59 am

Learned Helplessness In Macro

Mark Thoma and Brad DeLong point us to James Morley's critique of

modern macro (pdf). I actually wrote about much of this some time ago.

As I said then, the basic story of "modern" macro runs like this:

1. Lucas and his disciples agree that the economy looks Keynesian --

that is, it surely looks as if monetary and fiscal policy have real

effects -- but argue that an equilibrium approach with imperfect

information can explain why, while rejecting Keynesian policy

implications. And they ridicule Keynesian economics.

2. By 1980 -- three decades ago! -- it is already clear that the Lucas

project has failed. Equilibrium models with imperfect information

cannot, in fact, explain key facts about business cycles, especially

the way recessions persist even though everyone knows that they're in a

recession.

3. Rather than admitting that they went down the wrong track, however,

the advocates of freshwater macro double down; they decide to forget

about what they used to know about the apparent effects of demand

shocks, and explain the business cycle in terms of real shocks.

4. This approach also falls short; in an attempt to rescue the models,

ever more epicycles are added, and whatever clarity may once have

existed gets lost.

5. Freshwater economists declare that the business cycle is deeply

puzzling, and that we need much more research before we can make policy

recommendations.

In short, what we're looking at is learned helplessness. Economists who

didn't go down this path, who didn't flush everything the profession

had learned between 1936 and 1973 down the memory hole, aren't

especially baffled by the situation we're in now; on the contrary, it

looks like an extreme version of a fairly familiar event, and policy

recommendations aren't hard to make.

It's only if you're committed to a failed research project -- a project

that failed a generation ago, but refused to admit it -- that you're

baffled.