[lbo-talk] When Empires Lose It

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jun 30 10:28:50 PDT 2010

On Tue, June 29, 2010 6:25 am, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It is really detached from reality to speak of the "fall" of modern
> empires

On the contrary, it's both an empirically accurate analysis and indispensable politics. Ordinary US citizens need to know and understand that the Empire is a failed scam which is bankrupting their country (literally: the military-industrial complex is a $1 trillion beast).

I don't know how many times I need to say this, but I'm not a catastrophist and have never subscribed to the notion of a Final Crisis. This is the end of the hegemony of Anglo-American neoliberal market fundamentalism, is all. All that means is that we have a raft of new capitalisms to criticize and struggle against. India's ruling class, for example, is doing appalling things to its own citizens, but they're no longer doing these things on the direct orders of US elites, or as part of a US imperial project.

New struggles, new resistances.

-- DRR