[lbo-talk] Civil Rights in South Asia

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 12:59:47 PST 2010

dredmond: Not to be flippant about it, but isn't the CPI(M)-led government in West Bengal pursuing the sorts of developmental state policies that you otherwise champion? Moreover, isn't it still the case that there are more civil rights in Delhi than there are in Beijing or Singapore?

Aside from all that, I agree that it's important to condemn these sorts of human rights violations. I'm not a big fan of the "but country X (Israel, U.S., India) is a democracy!" brand of special pleading.