[lbo-talk] Obama gives Blue Dogs what they want - will they buy it?

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Mar 3 15:29:31 PST 2010

On Wed, March 3, 2010 3:01 pm, Doug Henwood forwarded:

> <http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/blue-dog-dream>
> A Blue Dog Dream
> Neera Tanden
>
> Let’s go issue by issue. The Blue Dogs opposed the public plan that
> featured so prominently in the House bill. Well, the Senate scrapped that
> a long time ago.

So in addition to a grotesquely inefficient, wasteful, taxpayer-subsidized military-industrial complex, a prison-cop-industrial complex, a sprawl-oil-highway complex, and a Treasury-investment-bank complex, we'll now have a grotesquely inefficient, wasteful, taxpayer-subsidized insurance-pharma complex.

> Blue Dogs wanted more cost-containment policies. Well, the
> Senate bill is not just stronger, but substantially so. It
> features a robust Independent Payment Advisory Board with authority to
> lower Medicare payment rates.

Translation: Medicare will be gutted and the elderly will now be expected to die. Russian-style demographic collapse, here we come.

> The Senate bill also has stronger provisions to push payment
> reform through a new “innovation center” that will reward quality of care

Translation: insurance companies have yet another way to screw doctors and justify nurse understaffing.

> the Senate
> bill has a Medicare tax that raises only $87 billion from high-income
> folks.

The rich will get richer.

> The Senate bill costs nearly $200 billion less over ten years.

The poor will die.

> But liberals seem to have made the
> following calculation: In order to get a bill that covers 30 million
> Americans, with insurance reforms that protect consumers, they will
> swallow hard and accept several provisions that anger them. It’s called
> compromise—and, in some quarters, it’s also known as governing.

It's called Empire, and it's an offense against any notion of decency, rationality or humanity.

Soviet-style collapse, here we come.

-- DRR