[lbo-talk] Student protests in the U.S. starting to escalate

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Mar 4 10:22:01 PST 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:37:17 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Yes, much more so. I've got a piece in the new LBO on college
> tuition
> - how much it costs and why - that also shows how easy it would be
> to make higher ed free for all. I'll be posting it to the web in the
> next week or two. But subscribers are enjoying it already!
>
> http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/LBO_subinfo.html

This subscriber did -- enjoy it, that is.

Question, though: You have a graph of various funding sources -- state & local, federal, personal aka tuition etc. -- as percentages of college budgets. Which is quite interesting. But I would have liked to see the absolute numbers. Have college budgets per student stayed relatively constant? Or not? If not, where's the money going? (I'm sure you're right that it's not faculty salaries.)

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com