[lbo-talk] Philip Mirowski - Social Physicist

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:43:02 PST 2010

Chris Doss If law is a science, then so is playing monopoly.

^^^^^ CB: Well, in my last post on this I said it is more like science is laws. The link to the wikipedia site on scientific laws really shows what I mean. Science is full of laws.

But yes, some people could have a scientific approach to playing monopoly. Probably not everybody who plays monopoly does it scienifically, though. Throwing dice, as a game in itself could be approached scientifically, too. I used to have sciences of playing basketball ( having hypotheses , making observations , doing experiments and collecting data on how to improve my gain) . No doubt the best coaches have much science in their approaches to winning. I used to have the same with party dancing and telling jokes. I still got the notebooks on that from 40 years ago.

On the other hand , if you think law practice and court cases are as simple as playing monopoly , you better ask somebody (smile).