[lbo-talk] Philip Mirowski - Social Physicist

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 12:22:12 PST 2010

What are you thinking of? Everything I can think of off the top of my head was always seen as a disease, just as untreatable or poorly treatable. It's not like anybody thought leprosy was normal.   Then on the other hand there is the religious tradition that sees age and death as unnatural, since God's intention was for human beings to be immortal.

----- Original Message ---- From: "farmelantj at juno.com" <farmelantj at juno.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, March 5, 2010 11:08:21 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Philip Mirowski - Social Physicist

Haven't we been doing something like that as medical science progresses. A lot of physical conditions that used to be accepted as a normal part of the human condition have, for better or worse, gotten redefined as diseases, especially when medical science seemed to offer possible treatments to alleviate them (whether efficacious or not).

This is especially true in psychiatry.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant