[lbo-talk] March 4

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Mar 5 14:00:51 PST 2010

At UC Berkeley, about 150 people blocked Sather Gate, the main pedestrian entrance to campus, for a while, although they allowed disabled students through. Later, a crowd of about 1,000 marched through city streets to the UC system headquarters in Oakland, about six miles away. A group climbed onto the freeway, leading to the evening arrests.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protests5-2010mar05,0,5173927.story

This sounds about right. I went up the street about one and there was some traffic stopped briefly and that was about it. No cops, no noise, basically nada. I saw some people with picket signs hiking back to their apartments. That's too bad. Basically the day was a dud here.

Meanwhile the federal aid to education was announced. California and Michigan were not on the award list. In the California case hopefully that `loss' represents the teachers unions (and/or school districts) refusal to agree to teacher evaluation and retention based on student test scores. Anyway, here is an interview with Diane Ravitch on the whole move to privatize public education:

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/3/5/protests

There is a particular detail in this interview that was pretty mind blowing. The Bill Gates foundation gave out grant money to state agencies to pay for private consultants to write and craft their federal grant proposals.

CG