[lbo-talk] Philip Mirowski - Social Physicist

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 09:02:52 PST 2010

Vincent Clarke For the last time: the "structure" IS the binary opposition

^^^^^ CB: Well, I hope it's your last time saying it. I'll explain it to you one more time. '

The binary opposition is the binary opposition. The structure is the relationship or identification of two ore more binary oppositions. In my example, male/female is _not_ the structure. Get it ?

^^^^^^^ All of this structure is not metaphor (although it is the basis of metaphor) it IS binary opposition - it IS opposition itself. You get me yet?

^^^^

CB: Now you've just said, "The structure is the binary opposition...it is opposition itself" Even you should be able to tell you are confused now.

You get an F in this class on structuralism. You don't understand the most basic ideas.

^^^^^^^^

CB: Just kidding. Vincent gets an A, for starting this thread alone (laugh)