[lbo-talk] Tea-heads to swarm the Hill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 9 10:56:17 PST 2010

[Is there anything like this happening from the left? MoveOn is all virtual, and the unions are doing what they're told, so who's left?]

From: Nationwide Tea Party Coalition <no-reply at myprgenie.com> Date: March 9, 2010 1:49:20 PM EST To: dhenwood at panix.com Subject: Tea Parties to Kick Off "Take the Town Halls to Washington" Tonight at 7:30 PM

Dear Doug,

Greetings! Nationwide Tea Party Coalition just posted -- Tea Parties to kick off “Take the Town Halls to Washington” tonight at 7:30 pm. Please contact me if you need any additional information. Thank you for your interest in Nationwide Tea Party Coalition.

Best Regards, Michael Leahy 615-243-6869 michaelpatrickleahy at gmail.com

Press Release Text:

Tea Parties to Kick Off "Take the Town Halls to Washington" Tonight at 7:30 PM

Washington--March 9, 2010 / (http://www.myprgenie.com) -- Mark Skoda, Chairman of the Memphis Tea Party, and several other local tea party organizers are traveling to Washington, where they will kick off the "Take the Town Halls to Washington" project at a press conference on Capitol Hill this evening, March 9, at 7:30 PM.

"Take The Town Halls to Washington" is designed to bring tea party activists to Washington, DC during the month of March to meet, question and review the positions of approximately 50 Democrat members of the House of Representatives whose vote on the pending Health Care legislation has not yet been publicly announced. The Nationwide Tea Party Coalition and Tea Party Nation are kicking off the project, but additional grassroots organizations are expected to join.

Spokesman Skoda stated, "We are launching this project tonight, and will be pressing all 50 undecided members of Congress to meet with us. Our first goal is to stop this bill from passing by March 18, the most recent White House deadline. Towards that end, tea party activists will be meeting every day with members of Congress here on Capitol Hill."

Skoda continued, "We encourage tea party activists from around the country to come to Washington today, tomorrow, this week, and next week. We have a 'war room' set up on Capitol Hill, and every tea party activist in the country is welcome to use that location as a base of operations. Our efforts will culminate with a large rally at the Capitol on Tuesday, March 16, after which we encourage tea party activists to meet with wavering members of Congress in their offices."

Patti Weaver, a leader of the Pittsburgh Tea Party, will speak at the press conference, and will describe her group's scheduled meeting with Congressman Jason Altmire, who represents the Pittsburgh area, tomorrow morning.

Weaver stated, "We have a busload of people coming in to meet with Congressman Altmire. And we intend to respectfully express to him our view the reasons why his constituents oppose this proposed Health Care takeover legislation."

In addition to Ms. Weaver, local grassroots activists Lonnie Spivak of Nashville, Tennessee, and Tom Whitmore of Manassas, Virginia will speak about efforts to persuade members of Congress from their areas to meet in person with their constituents.

The press conference will be held at 7:30 Eastern Time this evening at Hunan Dynasty, located at 215 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE in Washington, D.C., which is located just blocks away from the office buildings of the 50 members of the House of Representatives who are the focus of this project.

The Nationwide Tea Party Coalition is an informal federation of thirty local tea parties from around the country who work collaboratively on important national projects.

For further information or to register and participate or assist others to come to Washington, DC, please check our site at www.takethetownhallstowashington.com .

To see press release go to http://myprgenie.com/4773

Contact: Mark A. Skoda, 901-277-4968, mark at memphisteaparty.com

To view this Press Release please go to http://www.myprgenie.com/publication/view_publication/tea-parties-to-kick-off--take-the-town-halls-to-washington--tonight-at-7-30-pm?user_type=mc&ref_no=NTQ0MzUw%0A

To learn more about Nationwide Tea Party Coalition please go to http://www.myprgenie.com/company/profile/nationwide-tea-party-coalition .

MyPRGenie is a valuable tool for journalists. Use MyPRGenie for finding sources, finding stories and updating your contact infor mation, your beat and submission of source requests. Please click on the following link to manage your account on MyPRGenie or to unsubscribe. http://www.myprgenie.com/user/journalist_management?emcinfo=ZGhlbndvb2RAcGFuaXguY29t%0A

Click on the following link if you want to block this sender from future correspondence:http://www.myprgenie.com/media_list/block_user?user_id=NzkyNzc=

&mc_id=NTQ0MzUw

Best regards,

MyPRGenie, Inc.