[lbo-talk] Tea-heads to swarm the Hill

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:32:47 PST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> Exactly.  But IIUC, there's no point in people who believe in that swarming the hill in this situation.  The bill is very much in a take it or leave it place.  So the only opening is for people who want to stop it. And in they swarm.

There were plenty of people in the crowd with signs that read "public option" and a few larger signs for single payer at today's AHIP protest in downtown DC. Plenty of folks too I hadn't seen in a few years from DC's direct action community, Code Pink members, etc. But the stage was run by HCAN and the unions, the messaging was entirely "pass reform now."

http://www.citizensposse.com/

http://www.seiu.org/2010/03/march-9th-rally-kick-off.php

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=1CB8B16E-18FE-70B2-A84E016AAB3FCC66

Health groups duke it out By: Jeanne Cummings March 1, 2010 09:35 PM EST

While health care reform idles in Congress, it’s still a street brawl – perhaps literally — among the advocates.

The latest: Health Care for America Now sent letters Monday to speakers invited to serve as panelists at America’s Health Insurance Plan’s annual meeting next Tuesday, urging them to pull out. “The insurance industry has been engaged in a duplicitous and cynical campaign around health reform, fueling the congressional deadlock,” says the letter signed by Richard Kirsch, national campaign manager for HCAN, a group that favors comprehensive health care reform. “We must stand in their way, not legitimize their voice.”

HCAN also warned that activists from its group and a host of other pro-reform allies are planning a major protest of the event at the Ritz Carlton Hotel. “The AHIP conference will be blocked, as civic leaders, victims of insurance abuses and other engage in a mass citizen arrest” of the insurance industry, Kirsch writes.

“By declining their invitation, and respecting the victims of insurance industry abuses, you will provide symbolic support to reform proponents, put needed pressure on the industry to step aside and send a message to Congress to act,” he concludes.In an email, Kirsch said he doesn’t know how many panelists will drop out since the letter had just been sent. POLITICO obtained a copy of it from one of its recipients.

Robert Zirkelbach, AHIP’s spokesman, said the trade association was aware a protest is planned but didn’t know of HCAN’s letter to the invited speakers.

He noted that the event is open to the media and paid registrants and that AHIP has invited a wide array of speakers, ranging from reform skeptics to former Clinton administration officials who have been actively engaged in the Democratic efforts to get legislation passed.

“I am not aware of anyone who is not coming because they got a letter from an interest group,” he said.