[lbo-talk] Disappoint With #125

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 11 10:07:58 PST 2010

College presidents either believe or use the claim that success in athletics (a brings in alumni cash and (b) makes the school well known and therefore attracts superior faculty. But only a very very few if any schools break even. (California may be different, I don't know.) Fritz Crisler always boasted that the Michigan program made money and subsidized thngs like swimming pools for womens's physed. But that was bullshit: it made money only because of the student athletic fee, tution by any other name. And Michigan was a rare exception in making money. Most schools (and all small schools) lost money big time.

Carrol