[lbo-talk] Disappoint With #125

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:47:29 PST 2010

The problem here is that research faculty and pro-Big Science and university-industry collaboration/technology transfer agreement administrators argue that the overhead brought in by Big Science grants pays for the research, the overhead, the auditing and more... that big research grants fund general education... when, in fact - and Chuck is right on this, big research grants (and athletics) draw down the general fund.

If researchers and administrators argued that Big Science contributed to the commonweal and, as such, deserved a subsidy through tuition, fees and state dollars that'd be one thing... and we could hold them to that, but they don't... at the most they argue that what's good for large corporate profits and info-/bio-tech start-ups is good for the public.