[lbo-talk] Hurt Locker

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 18:00:19 PST 2010

Marv writes:

"My wife and I saw the Hurt Locker on cable last night. I must have missed Louis P's review on it, but amidst all the glowing tributes, dug up this obscure short review on Rotten Tomatoes which exactly mirrors our own responses. Anyone see any redeeming qualities in the film?"

The only redeeming quality was the choice of bomb defusion as a metaphor for the Iraq war. I didn't think that was so bad. BUT. The movie is nothing other than a soap-operaish stringing together of separate real incidents involving real people into one story line involving one person....which added up to no plot and no character development etc.

The final thesis, that the Iraq war is the result of grunts hooked on adrenalin is a completely false analysis and provides a feminist slant that makes feminists look like morons.

Joanna