[lbo-talk] Disappoint With #125

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 12 07:44:43 PST 2010

Alan Rudy wrote:

> Well, this last paragraph came as a summation of my frustration with
> Carroll's dismissal of a summary of four years of work trying to understand
> how university-industry collaborations were changing the mission of higher
> education at Research I universities, how that was impacting the politics of
> administration, pedagogy and costs and, later in my own life, how that
> appeared to be translating "down" the university-college complex.

Alan, I will get around to a richer response, but do consider the context for this thread -- an attack on faculty wages & working conditions, which identified faculty with administration and opposed the interests of both to the interests of students, which in turn were reduced to the cost of a consumable object, a college certificate. And in this context, _any_ criticism of _any_ professor or _any_ research becomes suspect. So your researcxh -- or any other critiqued of corporate influence on the university is not being dismissed as such; but I am insisting that separate issues be kep separate.

Carrol