[lbo-talk] Disappoint With #125

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 12 10:33:16 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Censorship is bad. Censorship is absolutely essential. And there is no
> > easy or even sensible resolution to this other than fighting it ut as
> > all political issues have to be fought out case by case.
>
> Isn't "censorship" a pejorative way of putting it? You mean some sort
> of selectivity or editing is required or we'll go mad, or drown in junk.

Yes. But I was sticking with the vocabulary of the original article cited, "Peer Review as Censorship." ALSO -- Inthe past I'vej had students who labelled even disagreement as censorship: "Free speech," in ohter words, means the right to say anything one wants and be free from criticism. And the material result is the same, an unpublished ms., whether it is rjected by an editor on intellecual grounds or prohibityed by a state censor. Which explains why the rejected author might feel it as "censorship." And of course we do speak of "self-censorship," which overlaps the ordinary uage and my usage here.

Carrol