[lbo-talk] Comparative post-Sovietology, 20 years on

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 15:07:31 PST 2010

I would like to point out that Russia's GDP dropped like 50% in the 1990s, so like, duh,   10 years or so of 8% or so GDP growth would get it to about this level. Russia fully recovered from the collapse in I think it was 2007. I'm sure I posted something about it at the time. It would suck if, you know, the economic collapse never happened.

----- Original Message ---- From: "dredmond at efn.org" <dredmond at efn.org>

I don't mean to diminish in any way the neolib looting of the former USSR from 1990-1998, which was one of the monstrous crimes of the 20th century, but 15% of Soviet GDP was military output. Russia's military spending is around 2.7% of GDP today, so civilian output per person -- as opposed to tanks you can't drive and bullets you can't eat -- is more like 20% higher than 1989.

-- DRR