[lbo-talk] Hurt Locker

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 17:11:27 PDT 2010

I think Salt of the Earth may qualify, and it's a good labor film. There are a number of mining films, including Germinal, Matewan which you mentioned, Komeradshaft.

I'm trying to decide whether films focusing on corporate malfeasance, like A Civil Action, where the corporation doesn't really get it, have any good effect.

________________________________ shag carpet bomb wrote on Mon, March 15, 2010 7:20:16 PM

At 05:36 PM 3/12/2010, Marv Gandall wrote:
> On 2010-03-11, at 6:51 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
> > just out of curiosity, what would be a radical movie?
> I think most or all of us would agree art doesn't have to be partisan, ie. radical, to have great value. Having said that, I'm partial to films which realistically portray social relations within and between classes, and those in particular which do so from the perspective of the oppressed and in sympathy with them. That would come closest to what I suppose we would describe as a "radical" movie. Interesting question. What do you and others think?

I couldn't actually think of a radical movie, not off the top of my head. That's why I asked others what examples might be. I thought about it some more, and a few popped into my head: Norma Rae, Reds, Matewan, Modern Times, Metropolis. Films that appeal to a striving u.s. progressivism: Working Girl -- if you count the subtle criticism of the striving American dreamer at the end of the film when Nichols pans out to reveal that she's still just another worker bee -- Wall Street for hokey romanticization of manual labor as superior to "intellectual" labor, and hokey romanticization of the needs for ethics to temper greed, as well as and Good Will Hunting for hokey romanticization of manual laborers.