[lbo-talk] more on who the TPers are

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 15 20:36:13 PDT 2010

All my posts circle around, in one way or another, the absence of a coherent left in the U.S. and the question of what leftists can/should do when there is no such thing as "The Left" as a center to their thought and action. I reject the single hegemonic party (of any kind of structure) for a multiplicity of groups, a movement of movements. But how? Not how to create it; no one can do that, but how to do work that might contribute to its appearance.

Focusing in this way, I cannot but become irate when I see most conversation among leftists in effect follow a line by Cannon often quoted by Lou P: "The Art of Politics is to know what do do next." But that is insance. It is the same thing that Bernstein advocated: the mvement is everything, the final goal is nothign. It kills thought.

Carrol